The Walking Safari – Zambia
The African Safari tops a lot of people’s bucket list and although searching the bush in a 4 x 4 looking for megafauna is an incredible experience undertaking the safari on foot is a much more intimate and immersive adventure. Zambia is the spiritual home of the walking safari and this trip walks you through the world famous South Luangwa National Park. After an overnight flight to the capital Lusaka you will be met and escorted to a short domestic flight to Mfuwe. Once you have landed you will meet your guide and travel to Luwi Bush Camp. Here you will be joined by your armed escort and scout who will not only offer protection but will also point out wildlife tracks and interpret the bush. On your second morning you will leave this bush camp and follow the course of the Luwi River until you reach your next accommodation; Nsolo Bush Camp. The walk between camps should take a couple of hours and you will be greeted with a refreshing drink and your bags will already be waiting for you in your tent. After a further 2-days of scouring the Bush around Nsolo Bush Camp you will continue to follow the River Luwi arriving at your next destination Kakuli Camp. This route will take you past the confluence of the Luwi and Luangwa River which is a fantastic area to observe the large resident herd of Hippos. South Luangwa National Park has a reputation for being the ‘Valley of the Leopard’ and night drives at Kakuli in search of this elusive predator are often very rewarding. Having left Kakuli Camp you will walk to your final accommodation Mchenja which is renowned for having both a touch of luxury and fantastic game-viewing opportunities. Spending two nights at Mchenja allows you the chance to see any species that you may not have already encountered before an internal and then an international flight returns you home.
Why we love this trip
- A completely unique way to explore the African bush.
- South Luangwa National Park is one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in the entirety of Africa.
- The Luwi River is full of life and following its course provides great wildlife watching possibilities.
- ‘The Valley of the Leopard’ is one of the best places in all of Africa to see this mysterious big cat.
- Safari Guide and Armed Scout will help you track game and will highlight the signs of wildlife.
- Vibrant array of birdlife, with over 400 species to be found in the National Park.
- A different perspective that allows for fantastic photography opportunities.
10-days in May to November (available all year round, but these months are the best for wildlife watching).
What to look for
African Leopard, African Lion, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, African Wild Dog, Thornicroft’s Giraffe, Crawshay’s Zebra, Greater Kudu, Common Waterbuck, Hippopotomus, Nile Crocodile, Vervet Monkey, Carmine Bee-Eater, Saddle-Billed Stork and much more.
Please contact us for further details.
Reference: TOC-TWS1, Supplement Codes: AT, F, SPS