Bears, Birds and Bran Castle
In comparison to other European countries Romania remains relatively unexplored, this is surprising when considering that is home to the wildlife rich areas of the Carpathian Mountain range and the Danube Delta. Your adventure starts with you being collected at Bucharest airport and transferred to a comfortable local guesthouse in Zarnesti. The following morning you will undertake a guided hike through Piatra Craiului National Park. The route begins by passing Zarnesti Gorge, this impressive limestone ridge provides perfect habitat for local endemic flora, insects and hopefully Wallcreepers. Your tour continues the next day with a short drive to Narcisuss Forest and after a picnic lunch you will have the opportunity to search for the numerous woodland raptors that inhabit the forest. The evening is spent in a local bear hide, the Carpathian Mountains are among the best areas in Europe to observe Brown Bears and there is a very realistic possibility that you will get spectacular views of this impressive species. Having enjoyed the bear hide you will be transferred the following day to Bucovina, a day long trip with multiple breaks throughout. The next two days are spent immersing yourself in the famous painted monasteries of the area, the status of the historical and artistic buildings has led to them being listed at UNESCO World Heritage Sites. After appreciating the monasteries you will travel to the quiet fishing village of Crisan your gateway to the Danube Delta. The delta itself is one of Europe’s most renowned wetlands and is home to a wide array of avifauna. It is a prime area to see Pelicans, Herons and Cormorants all of whom reside here in impressive numbers. You will spend the next two days on a small boat discovering the beautiful lakes and channels of the delta. After exploring this wonderful area you will be transferred to a hotel near the infamous Bran Castle. This national monument holds the strongest claim for being the inspiration for Bram Stoker’s Dracula, you will have a day to soak in the atmosphere of this iconic castle before beginning your journey home the next day.
Why we love this trip
- The Carpathian Mountain Range is one of the best areas in Europe for mammal watching.
- The Jurassic formations throughout Zarnesti Gorge provide a great habitat for a vast range of mountain specialist species.
- Narcisuss Forest is home to an impressive array of raptor species and provides great photographic opportunities.
- The Brown Bear hide has a proven success rate and there is a very good chance that you will get stunning views of this charismatic creature.
- A chance to visit five of the famous painted monasteries of Bucovina.
- The Danube Delta is home to over 300 resident and migratory bird species.
- Bran Castle is credited with being the inspiration for Dracula and you will have chance to see the Gothic architecture that inspired Bram Stoker for yourself.
12 days in April to October.
What to look for
European Brown Bear, European Lynx, Wallcreeper, Alpine Swift, Eurasian Crag Martin, Ural Owl, Lesser Spotted Eagle, White-backed Woodpecker, White Pelican, Glossy Ibis, Pygmy Cormorant, Night Heron and much more.
Please contact us for further details.
Reference: SAS-BBB1, Supplement Codes: AT, SPS